The History of DDMAC
Dewsbury & District Model Aero Club (DDMAC) was formed in September 1966. In the early days it was only a control line club that used a flying field site, situated on the old Dewsbury Feast ground (near where Sainsbury’s is now). In 1968 the club moved to a new site at Sands Lane playing fields, which enabled radio control aircraft to be flown. This site was used until work started in 1975 on the town’s flood defences.
The work meant that the field was too small to fly radio control aircraft. For a while most of the club moved to fly at a site off Pildacre Lane near Ossett. This was not an ideal location, due to it being a public area where members of the public could walk across the flight line.
The club members then started looking for a new site. An area of land at the far end of Sands Lane playing fields was thought to have the best potential. Although derelict and overgrown, it was far enough away from houses and was accessed by driving along the river bank. Permission was obtained to rent the field and after much time, effort and money, over the years, the field has been transformed from a rough piece of land in the middle of nowhere to what must be one of the finest flying fields in West Yorkshire.
The club is traditionally a fixed wing club, with a number of members who also fly helicopters and multi-rotor models.
The club has about 100 members, with abilities ranging from complete beginner to expert competition winner. Club instructors are available for any potential new members looking for advice, guidance and tuition.
DDMAC is affiliated to the British Model Flying Association (BMFA)
Club Affiliation Number 0390
A few key facts about DDMAC
- We fly all types of aircraft (fixed wing, helicopter & multi rotor).
- The club has a number of dedicated instructors to assist with training, tuition & advice.
- We try to run a dedicated training and advice session, every Tuesday afternoon & Thursday evening during the summer months. The sessions are subject to the weather and availability of a club instructor.
- The club is affiliated to The British Model Flying Association (BMFA) and is actively involved in organising and assisting run Northern Area BMFA Events.
- The club membership secretary / treasurer Martin Lynn, is the club BMFA Northern Area delegate and also the Northern Area delegate to the full BMFA Council.
- The club have a number of BMFA achievement scheme examiners, to enable members to take the BMFA achievement scheme proficiency certificates.
- Club member Darren Nicholson, is a BMFA Area Chief Helicopter Examiner.
- We are affiliated to the Marsden Moor Soaring association which allows our members to fly gliders & electric powered gliders, at Marsden Moor (click for details).
- We hold regular monthly meetings.
- The club is run, on a friendly informal basis, within a safe environment. (We want everyone to enjoy their flying and be safe).
- The club organise various Fun Fly Days and other events during the year (click for details).
- The club nominate a charity each year and donate any monies raised at the end of the year (2019 charity is Kirkwood Hospice).
- We hold an annual Bonfire with an extensive firework display, for members, friends and their families to enjoy.
- Traditionally the club have a members Christmas Dinner, in December, on the Friday after the AGM.